Monday 7 January 2013

Starting Out

I should probably start by giving an idea of what Holoholo is and what it will be in the near future. Hawaii is a place that has always inspired me, particularly since my favourite film (yes, still) Lilo and Stitch came out in 2002 when I was a teeny tiny eleven year old. I know it is cliché to assume everything is lovely, sunny and holiday-like in Hawaii, and therefore I don't, but I like to look on the state as a place of opportunity - somewhere very different from where I live now in rural England.

Vintage Hawaiian prints found at Another Man's Treasure


The culture and traditions interest me, since I don't feel particularly involved in any myself, as well as the comparatively laid-back approach to power dressing in the office (Hawaiian shirts anyone?!) And of course there is the surf. The sea off Cornwall is still too cold for me in the height of British summer, not to mention the waves themselves. Imagine being able to surf year-round...

This is what has led me to create Holoholo: a creative meeting point of cultures. I aim to take what is great about classic British tailoring and throw in some of the easy-going nature of the Hawaiian way.

Image from the ever talented Sartorialist


And of course, the name! Holoholo is a Hawaiian word which, as can be seen in my header, means to walk or travel freely for pleasure. Something I could definitely do more of, and I imagine most Brits could. Sometimes we all just need to slow down...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, it's great to hear from you!