Tuesday 30 April 2013

Eco Warriors

One of the very first parts of any business plan is to define the market in which the product or service will operate, in order to understand where the business itself will stand in relation to others and what its main concerns are.

At first I found this a little difficult since I couldn't quite put my finger on the precise area of fashion commerce that Holoholo will become a part of. We are not interested in 'fast fashion', we don't support fads of trends, and we aim to offer great quality, lasting garments. Then it hit me - Holoholo has many links with other businesses that promote Eco Fashion.

Turning to the biggest showcase of contemporary British fashion, London Fashion Week, I began researching its Eco area: Estethica. LFW's platform for sustainability, Estethica was founded in 2007 and has showcased the collections of over 100 designers who adhere to at least one of three principles: fair trade & ethical practices, use of organic materials and the practice of recycling.

Narrowing down AW13's 14 designers to those most relevant to my practice, I researched a handful of the sustainable ready-to-wear labels that showed at Somerset House in February.



It's been really interesting to see how designers work with certain materials and methods in order to have a positive impact on our world. This is something that is really important to me, as one of the reasons I embarked upon the creation of Holoholo was my frustration at the disposable and in many cases environmentally and societally damaging nature of contemporary fashion.

The challenge I now have is to build my business in a way that is sustainable and environmentally conscious, whilst also being profitable but without being high-end. I want to provide what I as a customer want to purchase - here's hoping I'm not the only one out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, it's great to hear from you!